Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Scratchbuilding HO Scale Hand Rails using brass wire

There it is....so as most of you know it's really tough these days to make your own handrails because Athearn no longer sells stanchions.  Gone are the days when you could bend some piano wire and attach some stanchions and you were good to go....

I've tried a lot of stuff to make handrails.  I've done a lot of using the nearest next best locomotive handrails and making them fit.  It's not pretty.

I finally stumbled across this:

http://www.cnwhs.org/articles/1121826596.pdf

That is the way I'm proceeding in my M650 project.  I started with some brass wire and found that this technique is much easier than I expected.  If it turns out to be as good as it looks so far, I'll be posting a video about how I did it....

For those of you searching for a solution, this is probably going to be the one.....

No comments:

Post a Comment