Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Rebuilding old Bachmann U36B Part 5 Weathering

Rebuilding old Bachmann U36B Part 5 Weathering

1 color panel line pin washing


If you haven't figured out by now, my trains are inspired by the Minnesota Commercial Railroad, so my weathering is based on photos I took of the real deal....

The effect I'm going for in this build is sort of like this B30-7 I found in St. Paul...

my gallery of Minnesota Commercial can be found here:


Here is where we are with our build:


I used Testor's Gloss black and mineral spirits to just dab at the panel lines and let the paint flow where it will.  Then I used either my finger, a cutetip or a paper towel to wipe off the excess.

I'd say for this low detail build we are looking pretty good and can now go ahead and spray a gloss sealer on it.  Then we can move on to the handrails.

For a detailed look at how the real pros do this, here is my favorite panel line pin wash video:



This guy knows how to do it.  He uses a pretty expensive pin wash, where I use just plain Testor's.

No comments:

Post a Comment