On the workbench we have a 1957 A.C. Gilbert Alco Diesel in HO scale.
These are the before pictures for this rebuild. I don't collect them, I find them, fix them and run them. This locomotive has excellent potential and for being 62 years old it was in very good shape. It was missing a drive shaft, which was easy to fabricate. The mechanism is similar to Tenshodo brass. The plan is to replace the fully functional open frame Pittman motor with a new 24 volt rare earth magnet motor. The wires will be replaced with silicone wiring. Since the motor will be isolated, there is no reason this can't be an excellent DCC locomotive. There is also plenty of space to add big sound to this build.
We'll see what happens... I have yet to see where anyone has rebuilt one of these, though I'm sure they're out there somewhere....
The C-Liner project is coming along nicely. The much maligned from pilot was cut off and replaced with some tin I bent from an oyster tin.
The B unit is a dummy, but I've made it to pickup power which I plan to distribute through tiny 2 pin connectors to the 2 A units making a lash up that gets power from all 3 units together making for a super reliable set up. Picking up power from many wheels over a long distance should insure that it never stalls from lack of power.